(Image courtesy - www.boxee.tv)
Finally got myself a boxee box (Dlink Boxee Box) after an endless discussion with myself. And the fact that my good friend and neighbor happened to be in the US at that time had absolutely nothing to do with it!
Amazon did a fantastic job of delivering it in 2 business days and I had the boxee with me in 4 days from the time I ordered it!
I'll be honest and say upfront that I was disappointed with the initial experience. I did use the Boxee app a lot in the US - the experience there was fantastic.
Setup was good and quick - but it did take a few hits and misses for it to pick up movies from my Linkstation Live LS-CHL. Lack of DLNA (uPnP) definitely was disappointing. I had to connect to the SMB share by typing in the IP Address and then it worked fine. The fan noise is also almost a deal breaker for me. I am sensitive to noise and any humming is definitely a no-no. There's a good discussion on this elsewhere on the web...
Other things that didn't go well:
- No Power-on button on the remote!
- Standby mode just switches off the display - everything else (including the fan) is pretty much on in standby mode
- User experience through the remote was ok - with the keyboard on the reverse side being the face-saving point
- iPod Touch remote app did not work (still does not - need to figure out why)
I even tried an online video - it was a Nat Geo/Discovery kind of movie and it played beautifully (took a few seconds to buffer - but the video quality was great!). Even my VCD stored format plays decently through the Boxee. The browser app is a mess - but gets the job done. It is a pain moving the mouse around through the remote.
For improving the boxee box experience - some suggestions I would have:
- Have a sleep mode that will only be woken up by the remote
- A new browser app (I might build one myself)
- Power button!!!
Overall the gizmodo review pretty much sums up my experience - "Good at one thing - bad at everything else". I think the box is slowly growing on me - although it is far from being a cord cutter I thought it would be...